Wednesday, May 11, 2011
I AM PRO-LIFE, THEREFORE I SUPPORT THE RH BIL
(Photo from www.simplydivinechaos.com)
1) It allows people to choose the number or children they want to have. None or one – or a dozen. That's FREEDOM. That's RESPECT.
2) Not all medical professionals, not all people believe a sperm and egg touching equals life. Those who don't should be allowed options according to their light.
3) I believe those who wish to limit the number of their children do so not because of selfishness but because of love.
4) Life is not a game of Russian Roulette. Children need to be nurtured.
5) I am against abortion.
6) I believe education and access to different family methods WILL reduce cases of abortion.
7) The RH bill goes beyond just birth control.
8) I believe education will give kids the strength "to just say no."
9) We are a multi-cultural and multi-faith country. My faith is not a license to gag and bind everyone else.
10) The RH bill allows medical professionals to exercise their conscience. If God wanted us to be sheep, we would be bleating. He have us free will; we should trust Him more.
11) I do not think God thinks fealty to his Will (however you interpret this) includes playing blind as a woman bleeds her life away on the gurney.
Much as I support the RH bill, I know it barely skims the surface of a troubled sea. I can only hope that implementation will focus as much on RESPONSIBILITY as on rights.
Technical information will not be enough if power dynamics in a relationship are skewed. RH is not just about babies or STD. It is about people's ability to forge wise and free decisions in the realm of sexuality (which is not just about sex).
And in a sense, the Bishops are right. Raising even just two children could be an impossible task if a family is trapped in poverty and injustice. Those who push for the RH bill SHOULD NEVER forget the other factors needed for a full, productive and dignified life.